Mr. Walter

Mr.+Walter

Josh Brester

After four years, Russell Walter, science teacher and soccer coach is leaving Creighton Prep this year. Originally coming to Prep to get Master’s degree and teaching certificate, Walter has grown attached to Prep. He is leaving Prep because most of his family has moved to Kansas City and wants to be closer to them.

While Walter did struggle when he first got here, he was also extremely impressed with the teachers and extracurricular activities here.

“I’ve never taught at an all boys school, so that was something new. Also, seeing the really good teachers that are here. Seeing how good the band program is and the athletics,” Walter said.

Some of the things Walter has enjoyed outside of teaching are the retreats and coaching. Walter no only liked the activities, but the friendships he made with other staff members and students.

“I’ve enjoyed my community period a lot and I’ve enjoyed forming relationships with different students and seeing them grow,” Walter said.

One of the things Walter really enjoyed was coaching sophomore soccer. For the past two years, he has been head coach of the sophomore soccer team and has enjoyed it very much.

“I think what I enjoy about soccer is the same thing I enjoy about teaching, getting to know students and then helping them to be successful; to feel like they’ve accomplished something,” Walter said.