New Changes in the Handbook

Nick Garrett, Jay Journal Staff

Creighton Prep is always changing whether it is with last year’s new lunch program, adding the new Tomorrow Lab or various changes in the student handbook.

One of the major changes done to the handbook this year that have students and staff talking, were changes with community period. If a student wants to visit a teacher during community period, he will need a pass from that teacher beforehand, or he will have to email the teacher they would like to visit, and then show it to their community period moderator.

“One of the reasons we changed (community period) was that there were a number of students who were wandering around, maybe not being exactly where they were supposed to be,” Dean of Students Joe Ryberg said.

Students would say they are going to see a teacher, but really they might be going to the hall to socialize with friends.

“The thought process behind it was to find the right balance between accountability and freedom that will allow our students to have the best experience of the Silent Sustain Study.” Ryberg said.

Consequences for being out of Community Period room without reason “Can vary depending on what the reason is.” Ryberg said.

Senior Jett Pittenger, believes that the change to community period has a negative effect.

“It makes it way harder to go ask for help because you have to go through a huge process just to go talk to a teacher about one question,” Pittenger said, “It really doesn’t motivate anyone to go get help. I don’t think doing all this work is gonna make a big enough difference.”

Ryberg, a graduate of 1984, believes that Prep is more lenient than it was when he attended Prep.

“You guys have a lot more freedom than we did and community period facilitates a lot of that,” Ryberg said.

Sophomore Eric Woods believes the changes were unfair.

“Personally, I don’t think any students in my class, that I know of, abused the freedom (of community period),” Woods said.

Another change was the time for Laughlin Hour. Laughlin Hour is assigned if a student doesn’t do his homework. The hour is only for freshmen and sophomores, requiring the student to stay after school. Before the change Laughlin Hours lasted about 20 minutes, now they last about an hour.

Josh Brester, a sophomore at Prep, does not believe that the new change to Laughlin Hour with help students.

“People have really tight schedules. Im expected to get out of school at three, not four, that’s just ridiculous. Also with sports, homework, and other stuff. And people also live far away. Not everybody lives close or has free parents all the time,” Brester said.

Laughlin Hour can prevent students from practice, clubs, and many more. Laughlin Hour may also prevent a student from getting home because of their parents schedule.

“The reason for changing Laughlin Hour was to give students a more complete study hall experience,” Ryberg said

Another new rule is seniors cannot go to first lunch, if they have an open period during that time. Seniors have to be in the Criss Auditorium if they have an open period.

“For example, with over half of the senior class free during the first lunch, there would not be enough room to accommodate everyone. We budget for one meal per person, so it doesn’t take many students eating twice to affect the budget,” said Ryberg.
Handbook changes happen quite often. Students opinions will have to be held to themselves. The staff makes decisions on what they think is best for all students.

“It’s no bueno. Let a boy eat,” senior Aidan Swanson said about the new first lunch change.

[a]transition paragraph