Ryberg Talks Change for Next Year

Ben Monday, Jay Journal Staff

In the 2018-2019 school year, Creighton Prep will undergo a change of positions in the administration. The most notable change being made is that Chris Searl will be moving from his job as academic assistant principal to assistant principal for student support services. This new position is being made to compensate for the addition of a school psychologist and director of college counseling.

Due to the new opening for academic assistant principal, Joe Ryberg will no longer be the Dean of Students – a change many students could not imagine – as Ryberg has been the Dean for the past 15 years. Ryberg will become the assistant principal for academics.

“Change is good, both for the school and for the person,” Ryberg said.

Ryberg said he is glad that he was asked by the school to change positions as he believes that it is a great opportunity to apply his skills in an academic way rather than disciplinary.

“It’s a little bit like right brain, left brain,” Ryberg said. “Being the academic assistant principal will allow me to focus in a different area of the school…and hopefully contribute to the overall good of the school.”

Ryberg seems very happy and confident about this change.

“We had many great candidates, no matter who ends up being the Dean, I think Creighton Prep will be in great shape,” Ryberg said.

Principal Jim Bopp is excited for the changes to the administration. In February, Bopp announced that the new Dean of Students will be Sterling Brown, a teacher and administrator at St. Louis University High School.

“I am excited to be able to bring in more resources to the school to help out the efforts in the counseling department,” Bopp said. “I think that with this more expansive team we will be better able to address all the needs of our students more comprehensively.”