UPDATE: Lannon Learning Commons

Construction is in full swing. This is the view from outside the counseling center.

Nathanial Geoge, Jay Journal Staff

Unless you’ve avoided the northwest side of Creighton Prep for the past few months, you know that Lannon Learning Commons construction is well underway. And it may be having an impact on students and staff alike.

“Current impact is primarily the north road entrance and the sidewalk access from the north lot to the Sullivan Center entrance,” Prep Facilities Director Kevin Flint said. “At times there has and will be a certain level of construction noise and distractions with the activities, which is a good sign of progress.”

The Morrissey Engineering project is in a time crunch to provide access to the north and east fields used by track and baseball. According to Flint, they’re on track to do just that.

“Both track and baseball will have access to the north and east athletic areas through the Mullen gym east door in approximately a month,” Flint said. “The north door exits to the upper track from the Heider Center are not affected by construction at any time.”

While big trucks and blocked entrances may seem like a nuisance now, it’s all being done to benefit the entire Prep community down the road.

“The project consists of two phases; first is the construction of the Lannon Commons space which will be the new home for the high school office staff, Counseling, Band, Art and CMAB,” Flint said. “The second phase will begin in January of 2020 and will consist of renovating the current Band, Art, CMAB, and Counseling areas to house the high school office support staff, Admissions Director, Cura Personalis and a several new conference rooms. The current CMAB office will be the connecting corridor from the Sullivan Center to Lannon Commons.”

Construction is set to finish by the end of 2019, and the entire project will conclude a few months after.

“[Phase one] will be completed in late December of 2019,” Flint said. “Phase two is scheduled for completion approximately in April of 2020.”