Junior Jays Have Talent, How Bout You?

Junior Jays Have Talent, How Bout You?

Will Lighthart, Jay Journal Staff

Whether it be juggling, magic or music, Prep has talent. On March 22nd, Creighton Prep students and faculty displayed their talents in Prep’s second talent show in recent years. Acts ranged from multiple gifted musical varieties to slam poetry and stand up comedy by the hosts, seniors Charles Erker and Ben Steinauer. The talent show, orchestrated by Prep’s Student Council, held auditions before spring break that were open to all grades and faculty.

Senior Nick Swerczek was a crowd-favorite with his musical renditions of “All of Me” (not John Legend) and Whitewater Chopped Sticks on the piano.

Keeping my calm [was difficult]. The pieces, even though they sounded flashy, weren’t really hard or physically demanding, so the worst thing I could do is allow nervous energy to take over,”  said Swerczek.

Another showstopper was Dr. Bob Gehringer, who showed the crowd a variety of magical acts.

Gehringer said, “I had never performed for a group before. I had only performed illusions fro my classes, family and some friends.”

Gehringer was the sole faculty member to perform at the Talent Show.

Senior Dermot Swanson may not have performed with his father, a longtime faculty member at Prep, but he was certain influenced by his father.

Swanson said, “my dad taught me to juggle one summer in Ireland. I spent hours out on the windswept beaches of the Irish Sea practicing and practicing. My dad was a taskmaster and had me repeat the tricks over and over until I was perfect.”

Swanson wowed the crowd by executing several tricks, including the finale trick of catching a ball in his mouth.

Overall, the Student Council was very pleased with the show. $232 were raised in support of the Ignatian Spirituality Project, an effort that provides retreats for the homeless, and the entire crowd was delighted to an evening of excitement.