Q & A: What is the General Congregation?

Jeff Dong, Jay Journal Staff

The supreme governing body of the Society of Jesus has convened in Rome this week to elect a new Superior General. So what does that exactly mean? Creighton Prep’s Fr. Robert Kroll, SJ explains:

Jay Journal: Can you explain what the General Congregation (GC) is?

Father Kroll: A GC is the supreme governing body of the Society of Jesus, comparable to what an ecumenical council like Vatican II is for the entire Church. A GC is a worldwide gathering of Jesuits which is always convened on the death or retirement of the Jesuit Superior General in order to elect a successor. It can also be called by a Superior General to discuss serious matters related to the Society that he cannot, or does not want to, decide alone. A GC is a rather rare event; the one happening now in Rome is only the 36th in the 476 years since our founding in 1540. The gathering always includes all the Jesuit provincials, meaning those Jesuits who direct the Jesuit provinces throughout the world, along with a certain number of elected delegates.

Jay Journal: Why is the GC important and why should students follow the GC?

Father Kroll: This GC is important because it will elect a new leader for the whole Society of Jesus, and Prep is part of the network of Jesuit schools throughout the world. This GC may also issue some documents that relate not only to the internal governance of the order, but also to certain priorities that touch Jesuit ministries like Prep as well.

Jay Journal: Pope Francis is the first Jesuit pope. Will this have any influence on the GC?

Father Kroll: Pope Francis will no doubt be careful not to interfere directly in the election of the new Superior General or in the discussions that follow upon that election. He would not want to be seen as somehow “engineering” the proceedings at GC 36. However, the CG may decide to address some issues related to the Society, the Church and the world which Pope Francis has made a priority during his pontificate, such as environmental issues, immigration and refugees, marriage and family, etc. We’ll just have to wait and see what documents this GC produces.

Jay Journal: What do you think will be a central question for the GC?

Father Kroll: I don’t have a crystal ball with which to predict the main areas of focus for this GC. If past congregations offer any clues, GC 36 will likely address topics related to the Society’s internal life, such as vocation promotion, formation of its younger members, and community life. But there will probably be conversation, too, around how the Society needs to live its mission in today’s world with its various opportunities and challenges: globalization, secularism, religious sectarianism and violence, etc.  

Jay Journal: Do you personally know any of the Jesuits that will be attending?

Father Kroll: The Wisconsin province, provincial, Fr. Tom Lawler, is a Marquette High classmate and we entered the Jesuits together in 1987. I also know the other Wisconsin Province delegate, Fr. Tom Stegman, who happens to hail from Holdrege, NE. Fr. Brian Paulson, the provincial of the Chicago-Detroit province, is a fellow Georgetown Hoya and we overlapped in Paris when we both studied there as younger Jesuits. While in Paris I lived and studied with Fr. Etienne Grieu, one of the French Jesuits attending the congregation.