Delegation Impresses at Model UN

Sixteen students made the journey to California to participate in the 2016 Stanford Model United Nations Conference (SMUNC), which was held from Nov. 11 to Nov. 13. This was the seventh year Prep sent a delegation to the conference, and delegates and adults alike enjoyed the trip.

“It was a rockin’ time,” said junior Jon Fosheim, a first-year delegate.

At SMUNC, held on the campus of Stanford University in Palo Alto, Prep students were assigned to a committee in the United Nations. In addition, others were in historical committees, which dealt with issues facing the world that existed long before the United Nations existed.

These committees, which included Alexander the Great’s War Council and the 111th United States Senate, were especially popular, with more than half of the delegates either participating in a historical committee or a specialized, non-United Nations one.

After the conference, delegates were able to explore the sights and sounds of San Francisco on Nov. 13 and Nov. 14. Particularly popular spots were Chinatown, Alcatraz, Fisherman’s Wharf and Union Square.

In his third year on the trip, senior Caleb Piti still liked seeing the City by the Bay.

“San Francisco is a very cool city to visit,” he said.

The trip was moderated by Kim Meyer, who was assisted by chaperones Dan Bost and Nathan Pinto. There were six returning delegates on the trip: Piti and fellow seniors Tyler Bowen, Will Lighthart, Dylan Ritter, Max Strehle and Nick Weindel. Ten other newcomers rounded out the trip, seniors Jack Butler, Brandon Finch, Zack Stanek and Jacob White, juniors Mitchell Dowd, Nolan Drain, Fosheim, Seth Sandoval and Hunter Sterba and sophomore Kevin Hong.

When it was all said and done, delegates, moderators and chaperones alike were content with how the trip went.

Before the plane back to Omaha departed, Meyer said, “This is the best delegation we’ve ever had.”