Students Shine for Campaigns

Luke Mullin, editor-in-chief

Prep students have thoroughly involved themselves in the political process. Over the past few months, many campaigns benefited from the hard work of these students. Whether it be phone banking for a Presidential candidate, canvassing for a Congressional candidate or even marching in a parade for a local office, students invested their time and talent in the 2016 election.

The Don Bacon for Congress campaign was a popular choice for many students.

One of these students, junior Peter Owens, involved himself with a wide variety of campaign activities.

I would go door to door canvassing registered voters asking them about what issues were impacting them and what they saw as change that was needed in our country, as well as phone calls over much of the same thing. In addition to this I walked in parades, played in the ‘bacon band’, staffed fundraisers and helped to host high profile guests,” said Owens.

The campaign work was hard, but enjoyable and rewarding, according to Owens.

“I really enjoyed my time on the campaign. I was able to meet a ton of great people working with them, as well as talk to thousands of people from all over the second district.My favorite part of the campaign was not any specific event, but when I was able to have a good discussion with a voter, especially when we earned their support,” Owens said.

As a component of the AP Government course, Dave Powers assigned ten mandatory hours of political service for all students in the class.

“To just participate is part of it but also it gives the student an insider’s view which should give them a greater understanding of what campaigns are really like,” Powers said.

According to Powers, the feedback was positive about the experience.

“Students felt like they played an important role in the campaign and their candidates’ success,” Powers said.

Some students enjoyed their work so much that they went above and beyond, even meeting prominent political figures, such as Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, who made an appearance at a Don Bacon rally.

Senior Matt Boulay said, “my favorite part [of campaign work] was going out and finding out first hand what issues American citizens most cared about.”