Prep Wrestling Looks to Pin Competition

SONY+DSC

SONY DSC

Charlie Johnson, Jay Journal Staff

Creighton Prep is looking to reassert themselves as a wrestling powerhouse in the state of Nebraska. The team is led by seniors Sam Johnson and Eamon Morrison. The team started the season with a loss to Millard West in their first duel of the year, but followed up with a good tournament at Omaha North on December 3rd, the Ekfelt tournament. The team performed well at North, but also took a few steps back. Senior captain Sam Johnson suffered a broken jaw in his third match of the day. Timetable for his return is yet to be confirmed, and this injury is a hit to the overall morale of the team.

Morrison said, “not only is Sam one of our better wrestlers, but he is also a captain so it is tough losing his leadership.”

With Johnson’s injury, some fellow wrestlers have had to step up to carry this team. Sophomore Jack Hasz and junior Garett Rollag picked up the slack, winning their respective weights. These two helped Prep finish fourth overall at the Ekfelt tournament. The outlook of the season is still bright. With many young wrestlers looking to prove themselves, look for Prep to become a problem for other schools come districts and the state tournament.

Morrison wants people to focus on Hasz and Rollag to lead this team into the future.

Morrison said, “Garett Rollag is undefeated so far in his weight class. Jack Hasz is ranked 5 preseason and beat the 3rd guy in his weight class.”

The team is taking on Westside on Tuesday, December 6 at 6 p.m.