A new way to learn

James Heldridge, Jay Journal staff

There is a new way to learn at Creighton Prep.. The new pilot learning room has been newly renovated to fit student and teacher needs, and has helped teachers with a new way of teaching. The pilot learning room was renovated over the semester break, and opened for use immediately after school started.

“Sadly most students don’t even know about it,” said Sean Joyce-Whipp.

Joyce-Whipp, who teaches theology, is in charge of the pilot learning room as a monitor of sorts who cleans and maintains the order of the room. Joyce-Whipp is the one who mainly teaches and takes care of the room.

The pilot learning room is a place where teachers can use their creativity to the fullest, such as in rearranging desk shape to fit the task at hand. There are other things that this room can do. Additionally, students have personal white-boards for games and activities, and a 70” flat screen TV is used for presenting and project presentations from students. One of the main aspects of the learning room is the presence of multi-use desks. The desks are built in curved shapes so that they can be formed into circles, semi-circles and four person or more group tables.

“All of the things that are used in this room are hopefully going to be used in other class rooms in the future,” said Principal Jim Bopp, who hopes to put this kind of learning into all the classrooms at Creighton Prep in the future.