2017 Wrestling Recap

James Heldridge, Jay Journal Staff

The Creighton Prep wrestling team has achieved many things this year, with the varsity team having a 5-9 dual record this season. Senior Eamon Morrison started out the year not ranked in the top six, but finished the year beating the second, fourth, fifth and sixth ranked wrestlers on his way to the finals at the state tournament, at 145 weight class, where he lost to the defending state champion.

Morrison finished the year with a 41-11 record, winning the Tom Dineen Prep Tournament, Roncalli tournament and his district tournament in Kearney. Jack Hasz also had a great year being the champion at Vern Ekfelt, Roncalli and his district tournament as well. Hasz placed 6th at state at 220 pounds, ending the year with a 31-7 record.

“Coming into the year as a sophomore, it was hard getting to state, but somehow I made it,” said sophomore John Moulton.

Garrett Rollag also came through with a big year, winning the Vern Ekfelt tournament at north and by placing at the majority of tournaments. He was one win away from placing at state and finished with a 24-8 record.

“This season we have accomplished many things that I thought would not happen,” said varsity coach Andrew Fisher.

Overall the Junior Jays had 8 wrestlers qualify for state: sophomores Gabe Bianchi, Jack Hasz, John Moulton and Xavier Vaughn; junior Garrett Rollag; seniors Eamon Morrison, Sam Johnson and Nick Smith. The Junior Jays, overall had a very good season, with a placement at the Nebraska State tournament. The Junior Jays are looking to go back to state next year, and possibly win another State title.