Omaha 2017 Mayoral Preview

Will Lighthart, Jay Journal Staff

Mayor Jean Stothert began her first term in May 2013 as a trailblazer. As the 51st mayor of Omaha, Stothert became the first female mayor in Omaha history. Another rather unprecedented aspect of Stothert’s administration is that she was that she made the first reduction to the property tax in 14 years.

According to her website, when Stothert entered office, she came with the agenda to “improve public safety, better manage city finances and make city government more efficient and user friendly.”

Stothert has faced some trials and tribulations during her first term. The Mayor has experienced criticism for her handling of infrastructure improvements, particularly roadwork. There have also been condemnations of her ability to prepare the city for impending snow storms.

While neither of these vices in her administration’s work are exclusive to Mayor Stothert, competitor Heath Mello has still criticized Stothert for her shortcomings in these areas. Mello has also challenged Stothert on her failure to negotiate a deal to conclusion with the Omaha Fire Department’s union effectively.

The Jay Journal reached out to Stothert’s campaign to hear what her message was to  first time voters.

According to Stothert, “The safety of the citizens of Omaha is the number one job for any Mayor. That has been my focus since I became Mayor, and continues to be, as Omaha Police Chief Schmaderer and I have continued our goal of adding more police officers, adding a 5th police precinct and working with our community leaders to make Omaha a safer city for everyone. Younger voters should also know that Omaha is a great place to live and work, and opportunities are growing every year. Omaha has been recognized as one of the 10 best mid-sized American cities for Millennials and one of the 15 best U.S. cities for Millennial college students. I will continue to emphasize job growth and entrepreneurship, but also the importance of entertainment and community building opportunities so that Omaha continues to be a top place to work and live.”

Stothert is not an Omaha native, but did move here in 1993 and began her career in Omaha politics on the Millard Board of Education. She served 11 years on the board, with three of those years as president. In 2009, Stothert became the District 5 representative on the Omaha City Council.

Heath Mello, a native Omahan that resides in south Omaha, is the sole remaining challenger to Stothert in the race for Omaha’s Mayoral Office. Mello has represented District 5 in the Nebraska Legislature, and while serving in the Legislature, Mello was the Chairman of the Appropriations Committee.

Mello, a registered democrat, worked in the unicameral, the nonpartisan state legislature to bring both parties together in order to provide property tax relief and install tax cuts and reforms. Mello has addressed issues such as equal pay, the challenges that Uber and Lyft bring to Omaha via ridesharing, tax reform and economic development.

Mello has been seen as the lead challenger to Stothert throughout the primary race. Mello has sharply criticized Stothert for her negotiation history with unions, mainly the Omaha Fire Department’s union. In return, Stothert has alleged that Mello’s securing of an endorsement by the Omaha Fire Department shows that he is susceptible to outside money and influence. The Omaha Police Department has yet to endorse a candidate.

According to Mello, “I’m running for mayor because I want to build a better Omaha for every generation. That means creating opportunity for young, bright students like yourselves to get a great education and eventually settle down right here in your hometown. One of my favorite parts of this campaign has been meeting and interacting with young voters across the city—and that’s why I want to remind members of the senior class that if you turn 18 before November 7, you can vote in this year’s election!”

Mello prides himself on his activeness in neighborhood, small business, and community organizations in order to improve the quality of life for Omaha residents. Mello is a graduate of the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. The Mello family attends St. Thomas More Church in Omaha.