Class of 2021 First Impressions

Ben Monday, Jay Journal Staff

The school year has began and a new class of freshmen have arrived. Everyone has different experiences during their first week of school. With the constant changes around Creighton Prep and varying personalities of every new class the initial reactions will be different every year. But what did this year’s freshmen class think from the start? We sent out a survey to the freshmen and gathered responses from the first 100 respondents.

“On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your Creighton Prep experience so far?”

There was a wide variety of answers to this question, however, 87% of the respondents gave an 8 or above. The highest rating was a 10 given by 24 students and the lowest rating given was a 4 given by 1 student with the next lowest being a 6. The most voted answer was a 9 with 37 students giving that answer. The overall average rating was 8.64 out of 10.

“Have you attended any Prep games or dances?” and, “How often do you plan on attending Prep games and sporting events?”

The vast majority, 94%, of respondents said the they had already attended at least one Prep game or dance in the first 2 weeks of school. 45% of respondents said that they plan to always go to events and 44% said that they plan to attend most events. 10% of responses said that they would attend events occasionally and only 1% said that they would never attend events.

“What type of school did you attend before Creighton Prep?” and, “What has been the most difficult change you’ve experienced coming to Prep?”

79% of respondents said that they came from a private school, with 21% of responses being from students from public schools. None of the responses came from students that were home-schooled. Respondent’s answers were varied when asking what their most difficult transitions were. There were 31 responses for both “Homework” and “Time Management”. 24 responses said “Study Skills” were proving difficult for them. “Waking up Early” and “Too Early to Tell” both received 22 responses. 16 respondents answered “Organization”. “Committing to Academics” and “Making Friends” received 13 and 12 responses respectively. 11 respondents answered “Confusing Schedule” and “Distractions”. “Getting Involved”, “Dress Code”, “Athletics”, and “Demerits” all received less than 10 responses.

“What is your favorite thing about Creighton Prep?”

The majority of students answered that their favorite thing about Creighton Prep was “The Community” with 45%. “Lunch” came in second with 29%. 15% of answers were classified as “Other” with the most common responses being “Athletics” and a “Combination of All.” “Teachers” received 9% of answers and “Facilities” received 2%.

“Which activities are you most interested in participating in this year?”

The responses to this question were the most varied in the entire survey. With Prep offering such a wide variety of activities, there is something for everyone. Almost every club had at least 1 student interested in joining. The top 5 most popular clubs were Operation Others with 24 responses, Trap Shooting with 22 responses, Athletic Training and Ultimate Frisbee both received 20 responses, and Young Republicans with 19 responses.

The majority of the class of 2021 seem very interested in getting involved in almost every way. No matter the background, many students are sharing the same experiences as each other. The overall feeling on the school up to this point in the year is extremely positive and exciting.