Football Player Wears Jersey in Memory of Brother

Nathanial George, Jay Journal Staff

Jerseys are temporary, but the numbers on them last a lifetime. Senior defensive end Austin Kerzman knows this very well. Kerzman chose to wore #92 for the 2017 season, the same as his brother, Nathan Kerzman. His brother was a former Creighton Prep and Peru State College football player whom passed away on September 28, 2004 from a devastating car accident, only 11 days after turning 18.

Nathan, called Nate by his family and friends, was fatally injured by a head-on collision with a semi truck on Highway 75 near Union, NE on his way back to Peru State from Omaha. Nate and his newfound friend and passenger, Peter Butler, grabbed his favorite fast food, King Kong, to eat on the way back to campus. Only one returned: Butler managed to escape with only minor injuries.

“[Butler surviving] is how he would have wanted it,” Nate’s mother Pamela Kocina-Kerzman said.

Austin was 5 years old when the tragedy took place. Although Nate left an unforgettable impression on many, Austin only faintly remembers his brother.

“It means a lot to me, since I never really got to know him,” Austin said.

In the evening following the crash, the Kerzman family was busy going over school papers and other reports. A police officer surprised the Kerzman residence to share the dreadful news.

“Our world changed forever from that moment on. Nate had been a big brother, hero, and mentor,” Kocina-Kerzman said.

A memorial was made on the highway where the accident happened, but was removed when construction took place. However, a memorial was also painted onto the retaining wall of the Kerzmans’ original home on the 1st anniversary of the crash, including his #92, his helmet, and a quote from his only letter sent home from college. This spot has become so special within the local community that it became an official PokéStop during the height of the Pokémon Go craze.

The memorial states: “I’ve learned that I can’t change my past, but I can change… the past of my future.”

This horrific event would permanently change the Kerzmans’ family dynamic, but would also become a part of Austin’s identity.

“I believe he was proud to continue his brother’s legacy and wear that helmet and uniform on the field, not just as his favorite costume,” Kocina-Kerzman said. “Wearing Nate’s #92 is just the ultimate tribute to him and motivator to get the job done.”

Austin has helped lead the Jr. Jays to a 9-2 season going into the state semifinal against Kearney. His determination has been amplified by the emotions caused from playing not only under the same jersey as his brother, but also the same positions. Both play(ed) lineman and punter.

“It makes me motivated to play for his memory,” Austin said.