Meet the New Dean: Sterling Brown

Tanner Muhlecke, Jay Journal Staff

Creighton Prep is excited to welcome Sterling J. Brown as the new Dean of Students on June 1st, 2018. Brown is coming to Prep with experience in Jesuit education, coaching, and administration.

Brown is the Assistant Dean of Students at St. Louis University High School (SLUH), a Jesuit, all-male high school, and is also a teacher in the social studies department. Brown is a man of many talents, as he is also a football, basketball, and lacrosse coach. When he started at SLUH, he was the Director of Diversity.

The search for a new dean at Prep started in late 2017, with many applicants to consider. The process had two committees that interviewed applicants: the administrative committee and the counseling and faculty committee. Brown had outstanding qualities and experience that made him a true fit for Creighton Prep.

“[Brown] had experience in working in a dean’s office, which was a big, big plus. He had a record of success,” Principal Jim Bopp said. “What really stood out was his passion for the Jesuit mission and identity.”

Brown says that he is fully committed to Jesuit teaching and daily life.

“My education through Catholic schools is the way I live my daily life,” Brown said.

A sports junkie, music fanatic, and Florida State football fan, Brown has no problem connecting with new people he meets. Brown says can’t wait to bring his qualities along to Omaha.

“A lot of people talk about how great the students are and how they drive the Prep community,” Brown said.

Brown “can’t wait” to be at Prep in June. Expect to see him around campus in summer 2018. Be sure to give him a warm welcome to Prep!