Bill Kleber: From Player to Trainer

Jack Piernicky, Jay Journal Staff

Bill Kleber has been a trainer for Creighton Prep since 2004. Kleber has been helping students with their sports injuries and problems ever since he graduated from Prep in 1998. Jay Journal had an opportunity to ask him couple questions about his job and experience at Prep:

Jay Journal: When did you realize that you wanted to be a trainer?

Kleber: “I quit football in high school as a freshman and worked with their training staff and developed a love for the job. When I got to college and discovered that they had courses for sports medicine, I knew that that was what I wanted to do.”

Jay Journal: What is your favorite part of the job?

Kleber: “My favorite part of the job is that no two days are alike.” Using all parts of his training is what makes his job both difficult and fun at the same time.  

Jay Journal: What is the hardest part of the job?

Kleber: “The hardest part of the job is having to explain to a kid what happened to him when he gets hurt. It is difficult because he has never been hurt before.”

Jay Journal: Who helps you with your work?

Kleber: “I’ve got three college students helping me out. Grad students Allysa Urban and Josh Kramer from UNO, Virginia Cook is from Midland University and is also a grad student. I also have a handful of current students who stick around after school and help out with the practices and games.”

Overall, Kleber’s work at Creighton Prep has been a vital ingredient in the success of Creighton Prep athletics. Keeping the athletes healthy is one of the most important aspects of high school training.