Mock-tober Election Encourages Prep Voters

Nathanial George, Jay Journal Editor

One day can change the country.

This week, that day is Tuesday.

The 2018 United States midterm elections are in our midst, and the stakes couldn’t be higher. The Republican Party currently holds a majority in both the Senate and the House of Representatives, but this may soon change: while the Republicans are predicted to keep control of the Senate, FiveThirtyEight reports that the Democrats have a six in seven chance to take over the House.

These predictions — along with predictions of the governmental gridlock that would ensue — hold true in the eyes of Creighton Prep’s social studies department (the department that founded Prep’s mock elections, as mentioned below).

“It looks likely that the Republicans will retain the Senate but lose the House, a situation that is very common in American politics since 1992,” government teacher Tom Haindfield said. “I imagine that we’ll have continued gridlock for the next two years.”

Key issues at stake this year include health care, immigration, and gun control. And with record-breaking early voting hinting at a surge in midterm turnout overall, each vote really does matter.

An overwhelming majority of Prep students are unable to vote, but they still got involved in the school’s mock election, dubbed “Mock-tober.” The results were generally unsurprising, with Nebraskans leaning right and Iowans being more mixed, except for one: support for recreational marijuana in Iowa.

“In 2016, only 14% of Prep’s Iowa electorate supported its legalization, but in 2018 that support grew to 36%.” Haindfield said. “A similar swing did not occur in Nebraska, however. The level of support was essentially the same from 2016 to 2018 (40% and 42%, respectively).”

It’s important to note that only 20 students, faculty, and staff voters were Iowans.

Students see such biennial “elections” as not only a great way to express their views, but also as practice for once they’re of legal voting age.

“I think it’s a good way to express your opinion at Prep and see how the rest of the student body compares,” senior Jaliya Nagahawatte said.

If you’re already 18, go vote on this crucial Election Day.