Jr. Jays Swimming Midseason Recap

Jimmy Rosenthal, Jay Journal Staff

The swimming and diving team has had another start to a dominant season. The team has qualified multiple times for state in swimming and two divers qualified as well. After losing seniors last year multiple people have stepped up. Freshman    John Watson is a new swimmer to the team but has made a big impact. 

“Our good swimmers are still doing good, but we are starting to move up and create depth. Which is something you want to see coming to the end of the season,” coach James Justice said.

Preparation is a big part of the teams success. They study how the year is going in past meets and rest accordingly for the next meet. The coaches are always looking out for the team and their needs. Besides strong coaching, multiple swimmers lead the team. Rush Clark , a senior and record-holding swimmer is a leader for the team with junior Andrew Hood. Being lead by the best and older swimmers gives the team and younger swimmers the confidence to improve. 

“I think it is more of an upperclassman sort of thing. Setting an example in practice showing that in order to well you need confidence and working hard in practice. Freshman and sophomores pick that up. They may be timid, but they see what others are able to do and step up,” senior Rush Clark said about being a leader of the team.

The team has been successful throughout the whole season. They have won all of the invites they were invited to compete in. Prep is currently the number one team in the state according to MaxPreps and is on track to compete for first in the state competition.