Prep Students Encounter Christ

Jeremiah Hudson, Jay Journal Staff

A key aim of the retreats at Prep is to enrich the spirituality of students and to assist them in becoming men of service. Looking through the banners in the staircases of Prep gives a clue that retreats are integral to student life. Retreats have been part of the Prep heritage since its founding. Retreats are crucial in building the culture and identity of Prep, but perhaps the most important aspect of the retreats is the chance to set aside time to focus solely on God.

If only one word could be used to describe the student retreats, Adam Lomas, the Director of Retreats, would say, “encounter.” Stemming from Saint Ignatius’s Spiritual Exercises, the retreats seek to strengthen students’ relationship with God and with each other. Focusing on this encounter, a time to form new relationships and strengthen old ones, students participate in an unforgettable event. While students familiarize themselves with faculty members and other students, they also get to know Christ on a deeper and more personal level.

“Through retreats, students are asked to take time out of their busy schedules and really enter into a prayerful atmosphere where they can really engage in a relationship with Jesus Christ and with God in a meaningful way. Secondly, students … really get to know their classmates in a meaningful and perhaps deeper way than what is normative outside of the retreat structure,” said Lomas.

The goal of student retreats is to provide an opportunity for conversion. The students will be able to spend time in the Word of God in order to more fully explore the Catholic faith through prayer and guidance from appointed directors. From the stillness of the Silent Retreat to Sophomore Overnight Retreat, Prep has many retreats for students to participate in.

Freshman Retreat is a requirement for graduation and lasts for two and a half days. Freshmen are able to learn about serving one another in their communities.

The Sophomore Retreat is also required and lasts a single day. It consists of a visit to the Open Door Mission as well as preparing and distributing lunches to the needy, and focuses on the Faces of Christ along with how students should see dignity in all humans.

“Retreats exist as instances–moments where students separate themselves away from the academic atmosphere…This is really a moment to embrace stillness, embrace quiet… This is a time we’ve intentionally put aside for prayer… just to be present with each other, and with God, who loves us.” says Lomas. Without the retreats, students would seldom have a moment where they can truly connect with and understand faith and fellowship.

Juniors are able to pick between two options. They can either serve at the Siena Francis House or go on Junior Encounter. Those serving at the Siena Francis House feed the homeless the evening meal for a few hours. The latter lasts for two and a half days and takes place at the Creighton University Retreat Center in Griswold, Iowa. Junior Encounter focuses mainly on reflection and self-awareness.

The Senior Retreat is optional. It begins with dinner at a faculty member’s house and continues on to Creighton Prep for the rest of the day.

Optional retreats include the Junior-Senior Silent Retreat and the Sophomore Overnight retreat. The first involves silent working alongside a director or companion to deepen relationships and for a student to devote his time and thoughts to prayer while being rid of distractions, while the second is a retreat similar to the Freshman and Junior Encounters, lasting two and a half days.

The retreats provided here at Prep serve the purpose of connecting to Christ and others. Through these retreats, students are able to leave refreshed and renewed, with friendships reinforced and faith bolstered.