Trivia Kings Conquer Trivia Night

Jeremiah Hudson, Jay Journal Staff

Contestants brushed up on their game show facts, geography and video game classics for Creighton Prep’s third annual Trivia Night in the Sullivan Center.

The night featured ten rounds, each with its own theme. From knowing acronyms to apps, participants needed to come prepared to answer anything from A to Z.

Each group of contestants was responsible for decorating a themed table. Prizes were given based on the most well-decorated table. Some of the creative names for tables include: #9, The Mad Hatters; #23, The Empty Nesters; #25, The Couch Potato; #33, The Trivial Trivia Table; #19, The A-Team; #8, The Quizard of OZ; and #4, The Trivia Kings.

Out of 41 teams, the winners for the 2016 Trivia Night were the “The Trivia Kings”, wresting the trophy from the last two years’ champion.

Prizes for trivia night included half of the money pot from the “50/50” raffle, free entry to next year’s trivia night and $200 of gift cards for those who had the best themed table.

“We had guys dress up like America, we had guys dress up like Batman, we had guys dress up like Karate Kid, Gilligan’s Island, and Mad Men,” said Nate Driml.

The questions required some serious knowledge of trivia. Some of the questions included: “Uluru, the world’s largest monolith located in Australia stands 1,142 ft. high and measures 5.8 miles in circumference is also known as this:”, “Argentinian soccer star Diego Maradon’s controversial goal during the 1986 Soccer World cup quarterfinals has been infamously dubbed this:”, and “Renee Zellweger starred in this 2001 movie in which a British woman is determined to improve herself while she looks for love in a year in which she keeps a personal journal.”

Proceeds from the Trivia Night–$1910.41–went toward the Father O’Leary Fund. The fund goes toward the families of students who are in need.

“Father O’Leary was borderline a saint–I’m not exaggerating–and this fund goes specifically to electrical, staff, groceries, everyone who’s going through the rough in their life” said Driml.