Creighton Prep Should Be Applauded

Matt Rasgorshek, Jay Journal Adviser

The following is a letter written by Papillion La Vista High School’s principal, Jerry Kalina in response to Prep’s outpouring of support after senior Brandon Steburg sustained a serious head injury:

*****

Creighton Prep Should Be Applauded

Last Friday night, one of our football players from Papillion-La Vista High School, Brandon Steburg, sustained a concussion in the football game against Creighton Prep.  The Creighton Prep trainers, staff, and a few parents rushed to Brandon’s side to help him.  He was transported to the University of Nebraska Medical Center for treatment.

The next day, several Creighton Prep football players visited Brandon and his family.  The Creighton Prep freshman football team prayed for Brandon before their freshman football game Saturday morning. The school held a prayer service for Brandon on Sunday and opened their arms to our community to come and pray for Brandon’s recovery.   Their smaller gym was filled with Monarchs and Junior Jays, standing together and praying together, in hope of Brandon recovering from his injury.  A basket near the front of the gym was full of cards and cash donations.

At the end of the prayer service, the Creighton Prep band played “Lean on Me.” As the song played, the Monarch and Junior Jays football players put their arms around one another and began to sway back and forth to the lyrics.  It was quite a sight!

On behalf of Papillion-La Vista High School faculty, parents, and students, I want to personally thank the Creighton Prep community for their unconditional love and support for Brandon and his family.  Creighton Prep High School showed complete class and is obviously doing a great job of educating their young men about what really matters in life.

Way to go Prep!

Jerry Kalina, Principal at Papillion-La Vista High School