The student news site of Creighton Preparatory School.

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

RECAP: Varsity Football’s Dominant Win to Open Districts

A look into Prep vs Burke

Coming off a loss to Millard West, the Junior Jays traveled back home to open district play at Burke Stadium against the Burke Bulldogs. Creighton Prep came into the game with a 1-4 record and looking for a few quality district wins. Meanwhile, Burke is 0-5 and has lost by double digits every game. This was Prep’s first game against an unranked opponent and an opportunity to gain momentum for the rest of the season.
Prep opened the game and looked unstoppable. The Junior Jays received the ball to open the game and Tony Coniglio threw a 35-yard touchdown pass to wide-open Eddie Schafer. Then, after a short punt, Coniglio found wide receiver Jackson Wurgler on a short 3-yard for his second passing touchdown of the day.
Burke’s next two drives stalled out, allowing Prep running back Angelo Walker to score 2 touchdowns for the Junior Jays. Then, after a snuffed-out fake punt, running back Jacob Ruby got his turn to score a touchdown.
The Junior Jays weren’t done.
Bradley Richardson picked off Burke Quarterback Ben Halstead. With quarterback Elijah Cannon taking the field, the sophomore found tight end Michael Burt on his second pass for a 59-yard touchdown.
It seemed the half was over after a Prep punt, but Burke got their first score on a 3-yard run from running back Amar Scott. After a successful 2-point conversion, Creighton Prep walked into the locker room with a 41-8 lead.
The Junior Jays limited the playtime of the starters throughout the second half. That being said, Creighton Prep’s dominance was not over.
The Junior Jays opened the half with an interception from cornerback Zac Mcleay, a fumble recovery from outside linebacker Michael Sall, and Cannon throwing a touchdown to Schafer.
The Bulldogs fought back with quarterback Nate Collins throwing touchdowns to tight end Brody Carlin and wide receiver Kaleb Hilker.
The Junior Jays still weren’t done. Walker got his third touchdown of the day on a 19-yard run, and after a second interception from Bradley Richardson, Cannon threw his third touchdown to tight end and punter Matt Sledge.
The final whistle blew, and Prep walked into the locker room as victors, winning 62-21
Prep looked phenomenal this week in all phases of the game. A Junior Jay offense that hadn’t scored 30 points all year scored on their first 6 drives en route to 62 points. Creighton Prep scored 9 touchdowns, including a career-high of three from Angelo Walker and Elijah Cannon. The Junior Jays topped over 350 yards for the first time this year.
Prep’s defense was amazing as well. Although they allowed 21 points, the defense faced 14 drives, only allowing scores on three. The defense forced 5 turnovers. They also allowed only 3.5 yards per rush and Burke only completed 49% of their passes. They got the offense great field position and the offense capitalized.
Most importantly, the Junior Jays played their cleanest game. The Junior Jays only committed one penalty while taking advantage of 12 Burke penalties. Limiting turnovers and penalties allowed Creighton Prep to play their best game of the season.
The Junior Jays travel to Seemann Stadium to play the Central Eagles this Friday, September 29.