The student news site of Creighton Preparatory School.

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

The Day of a Jesuit

Being a Jesuit isn’t quite what you would expect. 

While Jesuit priests must fulfill many of the same religious duties as diocesan priests, their day to day life differs on account of their dedication to following their specific callings based on individual strengths and skill sets. 

After discerning their calling, Jesuits are given a mission which determines how they will serve the community. These missions can range from direct service to those in need to intellectual and administrative work, depending on their calling. 

This means that day to day life can look a lot different depending on a Jesuit’s mission. Even here at Prep, a day in the life of our Jesuits can look a lot different based on their role in the school. 

“I wake up quite early, say my prayers early in the morning, then receive the Eucharist. After that, I come to Creighton prep, where I spend most of my day,” Fr.Amit D’Souza, S.J.

At Prep, Father D’Souza spends most of his time working as an administrator in the counseling center. In addition to working as an administrator, D’Souza is also studying in a doctoral program at Creighton University, leaving him with a packed schedule. 

“Soon after my classes, I joined the cross country team in training, and in the soccer season I will be helping them in soccer,” said D’Souza. 

Despite already completing both his education and administrative responsibilities, Fr.D’Souza continues to serve the Prep community by coaching both cross country and soccer. In the evening, once he has fulfilled his many duties, D’Souza shares a meal with his fellow Jesuits, prays the rosary, and does his examen before going to sleep.

“It’s amazing, there’s so much that a Jesuit priest has that sets him apart from others. We are truly enriched by our spirituality and our almighty servitude” Fr.D’Souza said.   

D’Souza’s ability to handle such a packed schedule while maintaining a positive, light-hearted demeanor demonstrates the true dedication of a Jesuit to serving his community through his mission. Regardless of their calling, Jesuits are determined to contribute to society and fulfill God’s goal for them.