The student news site of Creighton Preparatory School.

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Junior Jays basketball take solid start into the new year

A look into the first month of Creighton Prep Varsity basketball

With a month under their belt, #6 Creighton Prep basketball is coming into 2024 with a solid 6-2 record and state title aspirations. The Junior Jays have shown some highs (3-point shooting) and unfortunately, some lows (slow starts). Regardless, a 6-2 record heading into the new year is a solid start for a Creighton Prep team that looks to return to the state tournament after last year’s absence.

This past weekend, Creighton Prep participated in the Metro Holiday Tournament and was lucky enough to be hosting the tournament itself. Creighton Prep entered the tourney as the 6th seed, facing the 11th seed Millard South Patriots. The Junior Jays went into the second quarter down 14-13 but outscored the Patriots 28-9 in the quarter en route to a 76-41 victory. 

Prep then faced 3rd-ranked rival Omaha Westside in the quarterfinals, and this game did not disappoint. Despite falling 10-1 in the opening frame, the Junior Jays kept clawing away at the Warrior lead. Unfortunately, the Warriors were able to pull away in the 4th quarter, defeat Creighton Prep 52-45, and send the Junior Jays packing.

One major storyline this season has been the domination by the Prep frontcourt. Dillon Claussen has been averaging 14.6 points per game, 9.6 rebounds per game, and 2.5 assists per game, all career highs. He’s also been efficient, shooting 56% from the floor and 42% from 3. His frontcourt partner, Trinell Parker, has been a dominant force inside as well. Parker is averaging 12.1 points and 8.1 rebounds per game while shooting a scorching 65% from the field. This has allowed Prep to out-rebound their opponents in all their games but one. 

Another high this season has been watching sophomore Torran Carter-Brown blossom into a true lead guard. Carter-Brown has been averaging 11 points per game while shooting a blistering 49% from the three-point line. He’s also developed into the team’s primary ball handler, leading the team with 3.9 assists per game. 

Unfortunately, there have been a few lows as well. One blatant issue has been a myriad of slow starts. In losses to #3 Westside and #4 Papillion-La Vista South, the Junior Jays found themselves in 10-1 and 18-9 deficits early in the game. Even in victories against Millard South, Papillion-La Vista, and Lincoln High, the Junior Jays were trailing at the end of the opening frame. While Prep has been able to overcome early deficits against unranked teams, ranked teams have taken advantage of their early leads en route to multiple Creighton Prep defeats. 

Another issue is free throw shooting. While the Junior Jays have been shooting 38% from the three-point line, an exceptional percentage, the free-throw line has been a different story. The Junior Jays are shooting 59% from the charity stripe on the year. In their loss to #3 Westside, the Junior Jays shot 9/21 from the free-throw line. Against ranked teams, every point counts, and 59% won’t cut it. 

Regardless of these issues, a 6-2 record is nothing to scoff at. The Junior Jays return to action this weekend, with road games against Bellevue East and Westview. Guard Trey Tolbert leads Bellevue East with 13 points and 2.3 steals per game. Guard Tayvin Murphy leads 5-4 Westview with 18.3 points per game and nearly 40% from the 3-point line.