The student news site of Creighton Preparatory School.

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

District Preview: Junior Jays Look to Make State

A look into the A-5 District for Varsity Basketball

Even though 6th-ranked Creighton Prep split their games this week, it was one of the best weeks of Creighton Prep basketball all year. All season, the Junior Jays were hovering between winning a district or getting second place. After defeating then #6 Central, the Junior Jays locked up the A-5 District. This gives the Junior Jays home court advantage throughout the district tournament. 

Creighton Prep opens by playing either Fremont or Buena Vista on Saturday. The two will play this Friday with the winner playing against the Junior Jays. 

Buena Vista is the 5 seed in the A-5 District. They have struggled all year, losing their first 19 games en route to a 1-20 record. The main reason for Buena Vista’s struggles are on the offensive end. They average 36.2 points per game this year. They shoot only 30% from the field and 18% from the 3-point line. Sophomore guard Mogtaba Mohamed leads the Bison with 13.3 points per game, adding nearly 2 assists as well. 

Creighton Prep defeated the Bison earlier in the season. Prep dominated from start to finish, winning 66-26. Dillon Claussen led the way with 20 points, and Trinell Parker added 12.

Fremont is the 4 seed in the A-5 District. The Tigers have fought to a 8-14 record this year, but come in winning 2 of their past 11. Coriahnn Gallatin leads the Tigers with 16.8 points per game, shooting 43% from the floor and 37% from 3. Maurice Bryant scored nearly 14 a game as well. 

The #3 seed is a foe the Junior Jays are very familiar with: the Papillion Monarchs. The Junior Jays and Monarchs have already played twice this year and could play a third matchup in the district finals. The Monarchs have a 12-11 record but come into districts losing 4 straight. Demarcus McCarty leads the Monarchs with 13.7 points per game. Eric Ingwerson also adds 8.4 points per game, along with 9.9 rebounds. 

The Junior Jays won both matchups against the Monarchs this year. Prep shut down Papillion’s offense, allowing 38 and 43 points in the two games. 

The 2 seed right behind the Junior Jays is Lincoln Southeast. They’ve fought to a 17-7 record, often having a top-10 ranking in the state. The Knights have 4 guys averaging double figures. Taye Moore leads the way with 17.3 points per game. 

Seeing Lincoln Southeast as the 2 seed might be a bit of deja vu for Prep fans. The Knights ended the Junior Jays’ hopes for a state title last year in the district final. If these two advance to the finals, Prep will be looking for a bit of revenge. 

My predictions: 

Fremont 62 – Buena Vista 42

Creighton Prep 73 – Fremont 47

Lincoln Southeast 56 – Papillion La Vista 52

Creighton Prep 64 – Lincoln Southeast 59