The student news site of Creighton Preparatory School.

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Washburn Warrior

Senior Forward Dillon Claussen Commits to Washburn University

National Signing Day took place here at Creighton Prep on Wednesday, February 7th. Prep had three separate athletes sign including Dillon Claussen, a senior star varsity Basketball player for the Junior Jays. I sat down with Claussen to discuss his future academic and athletic plans with the University of Washburn Men’s Basketball team. 

The final decision process for where he wanted to take his talents to was a long and difficult one. The big man is a 6’8 PF averaging 17 PPG and 10 rebounds so he had plenty of options to choose from. Claussen had mutual interest in many Division II schools around the Midwest area such as Wayne State, Southwest Minnesota State, and Washburn. After the senior attended a tournament down in Kansas City with plenty of coaches in attendance, Washburn knew they had to get him. With the help from those closest to him, Claussen made the decision best fit for him. 

“Coach Luedtke did a good job for me. Talking to coaches and letting them know about me, telling them my strengths and weaknesses,” Claussen said. “And my parents also just talked me through it, making sure I knew I was making the right decision.”

There were plenty of factors that played into his final choice but one of them was the location and city the university is located in. Dillon said he didn’t wanna go too far from home. Fortunately for him the drive from Omaha to Topeka is a manageable three hours. 

“I like Topeka. Not too big. Not super small,” the senior forward said. 

Another contributing characteristic of Washburn are the facilities Claussen will be spending countless hours in. Dillon will get to play in Lee Arena, home of the Ichabods Men’s Basketball team. The facility itself holds 4,150 people and continues to have modern renovations done. Washburn also has a very nice weight room with advanced machines and equipment located in the Whiting Field House and Captiol Federal Center. 

“I really liked the facilities,” he said. “[It was] definitely a reason I chose Washburn.” 

On his official visit to Washburn, Claussen said that head coach Brett Ballard and assistant coaches Nick Jones and Jordan Banks were very welcoming and fun guys. He is expecting the staff to push him very hard next year though. Claussen knows that the pace of play and physicality at the collegiate level is a big step up from Nebraska High School basketball. He knows that he needs to get bigger and stronger for the next level. The current Washburn team currently only has one rostered senior so they will be returning most of their key players. Claussen does want to make an impact right away in whatever role he is called to. Whether it is to play important minutes or just push his teammates hard in practice, Claussen will do it. 

“I know they are going to push me once I get down there. I think It will be good for me,” Claussen said.