The student news site of Creighton Preparatory School.

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Prep End Season With Heartbreaking loss to Bellevue West

A look into the final week of Creighton Prep Basketball

After falling to Lincoln Southeast in the A-5 district final, Creighton Prep’s basketball season ended with a loss to #1 Bellevue West in the first round of the state tournament. The Junior Jays end the season with a 17-8 record. While the Junior Jays didn’t necessarily disappoint, as they made state after last year’s absence, the Junior Jays did not fulfill their state title aspirations either.

The loss to Bellevue West was absolutely heartbreaking. Offense was tough to come by, as neither team surpassed 45 points. The first half was neck and neck, with 6 ties and 8 lead changes. Forward Dillon Claussen had 6 of his team-leading 14 points in the first half and secured a double-double with 11 rebounds. Bellevue West took a 20-18 lead into the locker room. 

The third quarter went exactly how Prep wanted it. The Junior Jays opened the half on a 9-0 run and took a 34-29 lead into the fourth quarter. Prep was holding a Bellevue West team averaging nearly 80 points per game to their lowest total of the season. 

Early in the final frame, the defensive intensity increased further. With roughly 2 minutes left, Prep had a 35-29 lead after a Claussen free throw. It seemed that Creighton Prep would pull off a massive upset against a juggernaut. 

Then, everything collapsed. The Thunderbirds scored 12 points in the final two minutes. Jaden Jackson knocked down consecutive 3-pointers en route to his team-leading 14 points. The Thunderbirds escaped with a 41-35 victory before eventually winning the state title a few days later. 

To say this was a devastating loss was an understatement. The Junior Jays led for the whole second half up until the final minute. Even with the loss, it was their best defensive performance of the season. Bellevue West shot 29% from the field and shot 62% from the line. Bellevue West was held to by far their lowest point total of the season. 

However, the Junior Jays lost. They went 3 for 18 from beyond the arc and only got to the line 8 times compared to Bellevue West’s 21 free throw attempts. Josh Kearney and Carson Jones, who both came into this game shooting over 40% from beyond the arc, went 0/4 from the 3-point line. Prep struggled to get good offensive opportunities, and when they did, it felt like there was a lid on the rim. 

Even with the heartbreaking loss, this season was by no means a failure for the Junior Jays. Even though they had state title aspirations, the Junior Jays were marred by injuries. Starters Torran Carter Brown, Caleb Djoussa, and Trinell Parker all missed time. 6th man and eventual starter Marquis Toliver and Emmett Knight both missed games with injuries as well. 

The Junior Jays will return a lot of talent next season. Even with Claussen leaving, they return Parker and Carter Brown. Kearney should be able to provide a spark from beyond the arc. Freshman Max Jungers should develop as he enters his sophomore year, and junior Jett Smeal will return as well. 

It was a season full of ups and downs for the Junior Jays. While they did not win the state title, they showcased that Creighton Prep is a force to be reckoned with on the hardwood.