The student news site of Creighton Preparatory School.

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Junior Jay Soccer Starts Title Defense with top-5 Victory

A look into Varsity Soccer’s season opener.

With state basketball concluding and the weather finally warming up in Omaha, spring sports are in full swing. After winning last year’s state title, head soccer coach Tom Hoover and the 2nd ranked soccer team will have a target on their back all year. Although last year’s Junior Jays won the state title, they started the 2023 year slow, going winless in their first 5. 

This year, however, the Jays burst out the gate with a 4-2 victory over #5 Papillion La Vista South. 

The Junior Jays dominated the first half against the Titans. Striker Zac Mcleay found the net 12 minutes in to give the Junior Jays an early lead. Just 3 minutes later, after a steal near the opposing goal, Mcleay got his second goal of the night with a shot to the bottom corner. His spark propelled the Junior Jays to a victory. 

With 10 minutes left in the half, sophomore striker Jordan Igwenma stole the ball near the Titan goal and got a one on one with goalie Darrell James. Igwenma shot a rocket to the bottom right corner and extended the Junior Jay lead to 3. 

With just a few minutes remaining in the half and desperate to cut the lead, Papillion La Vista South forward found the net off a rebound, and the Junior Jays entered the locker room with a 3-1 lead. 

The Titans did not give up easily. 10 minutes into the second half, Darnold found the net again after his shot went off multiple Prep defenders. 

Jack Johnson, however, put all comeback thoughts to an end. The Junior Jay forward scored less than a minute later, giving Prep a 4-2 lead. The game would end 25 minutes later and Prep would start 1-0, a strong start for their title defense. 

The main reason the Junior Jays won this game was because they made less mistakes. The Titans had 3 turnovers in their defensive half that led directly to Junior Jay goals. Captain Drayton Beber led the defense to a very solid game with limited turnovers near their own goal. Goalie Alec Sibbersen totaled 6 saves in his first career start as well.  

The Junior Jays have 3 games this week. The Junior Jays host #8 Millard North and Bryan before playing at #6 Lincoln Southwest. It’s a loaded week for Creighton Prep soccer. 

This week: vs #8 Millard North (3/19), vs Bryan (3/21), @ #6 Lincoln Southwest (3/23)