The student news site of Creighton Preparatory School.

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Jay Journal

Junior Jay’s Offense Shows Out in State Quarterfinals

A look into the Prep vs Elkhorn South in the state quarterfinals

The Junior Jays opened the Class A state tournament with a powerful offensive performance to defeat the Elkhorn South Storm 5-2 at Morrison Stadium.

“We never take this for granted”, coach Tom Hoover told Jay Journal’s Alex Teitjan after making the state semifinals for the second straight year. “Every moment that we’re in here you have to keep telling them it’s a unique opportunity”.

The Junior Jays didn’t take their offensive opportunities for granted.

Forward Louis Tokporo started the scoring just 14 minutes into the game. Fellow Sophomore Jordan Igwenma slotted a cross between defenders before Tokporo snuck the ball past Storm goalie Mason Chaplin.

Midfielder Noah Hogan-Doria was a star, using set piece opportunities to attack the Storm.

Shortly after Tokporo’s goal, Hogan-Doria shot a winding free kick that was barely saved before Jack Johnson hammered a goal to double the lead. Hogan-Doria further extended the lead with a low free kick that curved past Elkhorn South’s wall just 3 minutes later.

After a goal from Storm forward Ryan Siemik, Igwenma evaded Chaplin to score on an open net, giving the Junior Jays a 3 goal lead entering the locker room.

The defense took over in the second half. Led by captain Drayton Beber, the Prep defense limited Elkhorn South’s opportunities.

Prep keeper Alec Sibbernsen made a crucial save midway through the half. After a defensive lapse, Sibbernsen was forced into a 1 on 1. Sibbernsen somehow made the save, preventing a potential comeback from the storm.

Another goal from Igwenma gave the Junior Jays a 4 goal lead, all but sealing their spot in the state semifinals.

Even with a penalty goal from Grant Adams, Elkhorn South fell, and the Junior Jays were on their way to another state title.

Creighton Prep’s semifinal opponent will be the Papillion LaVista South Titans. The Titans advanced with a thrilling 4-2 upset victory over Omaha Westside. This will be the third match between these two teams, with Prep taking both games by winning  4-2.