The Importance of Retreats

Hayden Hanneman, Jay Journal Staff

In the Creighton Prep community, it is reasonable to say that retreats are an essential aspect of our school. From the refined and wonderful freshman retreat, to the faith and life changing senior retreat experience, retreats seem to be Creighton Prep’s speciality. And although many people seem to enjoy these retreats, the true importance of these retreats isn’t discussed enough.

Retreat director Mr. Jerry Kinney explains the importance of the retreat experience at Prep.

“Freshman retreat was the first core retreat to be introduced in 1974, and was given to
Prep by Father Jim Michalski, [SJ],” Kinney said.

Kinney also said that Fr. Michalski was a welcoming Jesuit who began to form the idea
of the retreat to strengthen brotherhood among Prep students. He led the retreat efforts starting in 1974, and did not pass on the mantle of retreat moderator until 1978.

After leaving in 1978, Creighton Prep History Teacher Mr. Greg Glenn would soon help Father Michalski by carrying on the retreat as the moderator. Ever since Michalski had gone to India to help Mother Theresa, Glenn has taken full leadership of the retreats.

“I was a senior in college when the first freshman retreat occurred,” Glenn said. “And
after assisting the retreat in 1977, I went on to become a co-moderator of the Freshman retreat, and still am to this day.”

The next longest established retreat, founded shortly after freshman retreat, was junior
encounter.

Although Kinney did not disclose much information about junior encounter, he did say
that Prep had been using Creighton’s retreat facilities in Griswold, Iowa “for quite some time.”

He also mentioned how formative this retreat experience can be for one’s faith life. Stating that through the various student experiences he has seen, Junior Encounter can truly change one’s life.

“It [Junior Encounter] was an experience I’ll never forget. I made some lifelong friends there and really learned what my life is meant to be. It taught me things about God and myself that I didn’t even know were possible,” says junior Aiden Krakowski.

The newest retreat, which started in 2015, is the sophomore Faces of Christ retreat at
the Heart Ministry.

This retreat gives Prep students to have an opportunity for service in their community. At
the Heart Ministry on this retreat, each student is able to cooperate and aid to the homeless. This allows Prep students to become more of a “man for others,” but also gives each student an insight on life away from high school. It’s a service experience that will not be forgotten, and will help one grow as a person and as a catholic.

The other option for sophomores, an overnight retreat, has been around for about as
long as Freshman Retreat has.

This retreat, being held at Camp Fontenelle, gives students and opportunity to find God
through all things. Much like Saint Ignatius, students at Prep will learn through activities, reflection, and nature, that God is in everything.

For the seniors’ retreat experience, as said by Kinney, “it’s the last chance one has at Prep to strengthen their relationships among their classmates and themselves, as they approach their departure from Prep.” Although not disclosing too much information once again, Kinney does give some amount of insight towards the senior retreat. Many of the retreats have been present since the establishment of our school, but have gone through many modifications and changes throughout the years. Although these retreats have gone through many changes one thing remains the same: the beneficial effect these retreats have on our community.

“The overnight retreats have always created a stronger bond among students at Prep, making them a special experience,” Kinney said.

Kinney believes that these retreats create a special experience for our community to grow closer with ourselves, our classmates, and our faith.

“These retreats are one of the most unique and helpful aspects to our school community,” Kinney said. Many of the connections and relationships formed between students and God in these retreats last a lifetime.”

Many friends and possibly lifelong companions are made on these retreats. These
retreats also allow a better understanding of each other and a greater sense of unity and
brotherhood in our community. These retreats also create unity and relatability between teacher and student, because many will grow closer with the adults in Prep’s community as they guide your way.

“For me they’ve definitely given me more of an awareness of Christ in my life,” Kinney
said.

Kinney says that the retreats give a unique kind of tool to both fix and enhance his
friendship and relationship with God.

“Without the retreat experience I would have not been able to find these skills within
myself as well,” Kinney said.

The retreats also reformed the way he thought about God and faith as a student at Prep,
and also allows him today to see the same impact in many Prep students. They also majorly impacted the way he sees God, and how he now claims that he feels God’s presence in himself, nature, and most importantly others. These retreats weren’t always as we know them today though, although they have stuck to some basics they have definitely changed over the years.

Kinney believes that it’s much harder to be moved by God in the classroom, so by doing
service or experiencing God at a new level, you deepen your relationship and faith.

“Giving students a way to deepen their encounter with Christ is the what the retreats here are all about,” Kinney said.

In the classroom it’s hard to see Christ in others, in homework, in teachers, and in
yourself. That’s why these retreats are essential to the experience at Prep. Without these retreats you can’t find the most important ways of Ignatian spirituality by recognizing God in all that surrounds you. In essence, that’s how to summarize what these retreats can create in our community. In an ending quote of advice from Kinney, to all students participating in these retreats or considering doing so,

“Remain open at all times to these experiences, and participate, don’t anticipate.”